Life of Builder
Mr. Lek Viriyahphan
was born in 1914 and completed his university studies in China. He travelled and devoted to earn knowledge and understanding of national arts, religions, philosophies and cultures and continue to grow his family business at the same time.
In the uncertain world, we are living, Mr. Lek believes that through arts and preservation of cultures could make the world better. He then started to build creative architectural arts to reflect his philosophies. To mention, the Ancient City in Samut Prakan Province where different concepts of arts, cultures and lifestyles, religions, beliefs, in Thai society, could be harmonious for peaceful living. Secondly, the Erawan Museum show that a society with different cultures could be one through what religion has taught the followers to do good deeds for peaceful living with a unity of the society and the whole world.
Background of the building, Mr. Lek Viriyahphan, son of Mrs. Teng and Mr. Seseng, Bangkokians
- 1914 - Born in Bangkok (in the Year of the Tiger)
- 1931 - Studied in a university
- 1934 - Took over the drugstore, “Tien Sae Tueng” from his father, and published a Chinese-language newspaper, “Kwang Hua Po” on Phat Sai Road,
- 1939 - Married with Ms. Praphai Viriyahphan, daughter of Khun Vicharn Panich (Chum),
- 1942 - Jointly established Monthon Bank, responsible for credit (Later Monthon Bank was merged with the Agriculture Bank and changed its name to Krung Thai Bank)
- 1947 - Established Asia Commercial Co., Ltd. (later Viriyah Insurance Co., Ltd.),
- 1949 - Bought the business of Thonburi Panich Co., Ltd.,
- 1950 - Established Thonburi Car Assembly Co., Ltd.,
- 1963 - Construction of the Ancient City in Samut Prakan started,
- 1972 - The Ancient City officially inaugurated,
- 1974 - Found the Ancient City Journal,
- 1981 - Construction of the Sanctuary of Truth Museum started,
- 1994 - Construction of the Erawan Museum in Samrong, Samut Prakan Province started,
- 2000 - Mr. Lek Viriyahphan was dead in Bangkok on November 17, 2000 at the age of 86 years.